Who are we?
Sam Allen Research is a business intelligence and research company offering Competitor Intelligence, Candidate Research, Succession Planning, Benchmarking and other research-related services in the form of white papers and research documents for clients in Europe, Asia Pacific, the Middle East and North America. Sam Allen Research is an affiliate company of Sam Allen Associates, an executive search firm with the same client base. Both companies utilise the same database and are equally determined to ensure GDPR compliance is kept.
What does this Policy cover?
- sets out the types of personal data that we collect about you.
- explains how and why we collect and use your personal data.
- explains how long we keep your personal data for.
- explains when, why and with who we will share your personal data.
- sets out the legal basis we have for using your personal data.
- explains the effect of refusing to provide the personal data requested.
- explains the different rights and choices you have when it comes to your personal data.
- explains how we may contact you and how you can contact us.
What personal data do we collect about you?
We collect information necessary to be able to undertake our services including Competitor Intelligence, Candidate Research, Succession Planning and Benchmarking. Sam Allen Research may collect low-risk personal data such as your company, job role and publicly available career history.
Sam Allen Research does not collect sensitive personal data about you, (e.g. in the form of remuneration and health information) unless in exceptional circumstances, where explicit consent will be sought from you.
When a user visits our website, we collect information about the visit that does not identify the user personally. We track information such as the domain from which the user is visiting and the user's browser type. We also collect specific information regarding the user's session on our website. This includes items such as the date and time of the visit and the pages viewed.
Sam Allen Research does not intentionally collect information from children under the age of 13.
Where do we collect personal data about you from?
The following are the different sources we may collect personal data about you from:
- Directly from you. This is information you provide while searching for a new opportunity with Sam Allen Associates and/or during the different recruitment stages. Only low-risk personal data will be received by Sam Allen Research.
- From an agent/third party acting on your behalf. E.g. Career Strategy Advisors.
- Through publicly available sources. e.g. LinkedIn
- By Reference or word of mouth. For example, you may be recommended by a friend, a former employer, a former colleague or even a present employer.
How and why we use your personal data?
Sam Allen Research will use your personal data to match your skills, experience and education with a potential employer. We initially collect basic, low-risk personally identifiable information (PII) on you such as your company, job role and career history. This information will only be used in the form of business intelligence reports with clients that are likely to progress to a recruitment process. It is the intention that this initial process will lead to a further stage where Sam Allen Associates undertakes a full search and recruitment process, during which Sam Allen Associates may collect more information from you at interview (or equivalent) stage.
Non-personally identifiable information (non-PII) is also collected to allow us to analyse how our website is used and to improve the content and service that the website provides.
Personally identifiable information is collected for analysis to improve the content of the website and the services we provide the user.
Sam Allen Research owns the collected information from its website and will not sell, trade, or rent this information to others.
How long do we keep your personal data for?
Sam Allen Research retains individual data in its documentation for clients for two years, after which it is anticipated the data will become obsolete and detrimental to the legitimate interest of all parties.
As Sam Allen Research shares its database with Sam Allen Associates, its data retention policy therefore aligns with Sam Allen Associates of database information is seven years, in accordance with GDPR regulation and your legitimate interest. This is also the length of time that the executive search industry has adopted.
Who do we share your personal data with?
Your low-risk personal data (company, job title, career history) would only be shared with clients of Sam Allen Research who have initiated a research project. Sam Allen Research will ascertain the suitability (sector, roles etc.) of the low-risk personal data and only the most relevant individuals and their personal data will be included in our reports. Clients of Sam Allen Research have entered into a contract with Sam Allen Research to ensure no information is forwarded on to third parties and all GDPR compliance is upheld.
What legal basis do we have for using your information?
For prospective candidates, referees and clients, our processing is necessary for legitimate interests of all parties. Sam Allen Research requires the information in order to provide market intelligence. Clients of Sam Allen Research are in need of receipt of such market intelligence. There is a legitimate interest for candidates as there is a strong likelihood the work of Sam Allen Research will lead to recruitment processes for potential roles undertaken by Sam Allen Associates. Should for any reason more sensitive information needed to be ascertained by Sam Allen Research, it shall be with your explicit consent.
What happens if you do not provide us with the information we request or ask that we stop processing your information?
If you do not provide the personal data necessary or withdraw your consent for the processing of your personal data, we will not include your information on our market intelligence reports. However, as an affiliate company, Sam Allen Associates undertakes executive search opportunities. The absence of your personal information means we may not be able to shortlist or match you with available job opportunities in the future.
Do we make automated decisions concerning you?
Sam Allen Research does not carry out automated profiling and selection.
Do we transfer your data outside the EEA?
We may transfer your personal data to clients in countries outside the EEA. These countries’ privacy laws may be different from those in your home country. Where we transfer data to a country which has not been deemed to provide adequate data protection standards, for security we always have approved model clauses in place in our client contracts to protect your personal data.
What rights do you have in relation to the data we hold on you?
As a result of the General Data Protection Regulation coming into law on 25 May 2018, you have a number of legal rights when it comes to your personal data. Further information and advice about your rights can be obtained from the data protection regulator in your country.
- The right to be informed – You have the right to be provided with clear, transparent and easily understandable information about how we use your information and your rights. This is why we’re providing you with the information in this Policy.
- The right to rectification – You are entitled to have your information corrected if it’s inaccurate or incomplete.
- The right to erasure – This is also known as ‘the right to be forgotten’ and, in simple terms, enables you to request the deletion or removal of your information where there’s no compelling reason for us to keep using it. This is not a general right to erasure; there are exceptions.
- The right to restrict processing – You have rights to ‘block’ or suppress further use of your information. When processing is restricted, we can still store your information, but may not use it further. We keep lists of people who have asked for further use of their information to be ‘blocked’ to make sure the restriction is respected in future.
- The right to data portability – You have rights to obtain and reuse your personal data for your own purposes across different services. For example, if you decide to switch to a new provider, this enables you to move, copy or transfer your information easily between our IT systems and theirs safely and securely, without affecting its usability.
- The right to object to processing – You have the right to object to certain types of processing, including processing for direct marketing (i.e. if you no longer want to be contacted with potential opportunities).
- The right to lodge a complaint – You have the right to lodge a complaint about the way we handle or process your personal data with your national data protection regulator.
- The right to withdraw consent – If you have given your consent to anything we do with your personal data, you have the right to withdraw your consent at any time (although if you do so, it does not mean that anything we have done with your personal data with your consent up to that point is unlawful). This includes your right to withdraw consent to us using your personal data for marketing purposes.
Please consider your request responsibly before submitting it. We’ll respond as soon as we can. Generally, this will be within one month from when we receive your request but, if the request is going to take longer to deal with, we’ll come back to you and let you know.
How will we contact you?
We may contact you by phone, email or social media. If you prefer a particular contact means over another please just let us know.
How can you contact us?
If you are unhappy with how we’ve handled your information, or have further questions on the processing of your personal data, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “Data Privacy Enquiry”
Based on the information a user has provided, Sam Allen Research may send e-mail correspondence to the user. Each correspondence will contain an easy means to opt out of further correspondence.